Why Choose Food Sovereignty?
- According to the FAO, world hunger has reached unprecedented levels, affecting nearly one billion people;
- In Canada, the percentage of households with employment income who are forced to rely on food aid went from 11.9% in 2002 to 14.5% in 2008. In the United States, 11% of households and 18% of children suffer from hunger, while US food production exceeds the country’s needs by 100%;
- Of the $3.5 Billion of annual retail food sales, 25% of revenues go to the ten largest food corporations. In Canada, five companies earn 52% of retail food sales; in Quebec, three companies earn 82%;
- In regions where the food supply is becoming increasingly Westernized (overprocessing, sugar, salt, fat, etc), obesity is rampant. Of the 1.2 billion people who are overweight, 300 million are clinically obese;
- According to the World Watch Institute, food travels on average 2,600 km from the place where it is grown or raised and where it is consumed;
- According to the FAO, 75 % of the world’s food species have disappeared over the past century, replaced by more productive species;
- Whereas the WTO Agriculture Agreement applies to all food products in each of the153 signatory countries, it is estimated that 15% of these products are sold outside their country or region of origin. Yet, the prices farmers receive for these commodities are getting closer and closer to global prices;
- According to Statistics Canada, this country loses 67 farms each week (2001–2006 Census).
The Coalition identifies several obstacles to making responsible consumer choices, challenges that warrant collective choices and the political freedom to make these choices.
Send a message to 5 federal political parties
In order to remind our leaders to put back food sovereignty in the actual campain, send this letter to 5 political parties
Be sure to read the open letter to be sent to campaining political parties
Ready to be printed
Use this version of the open letter in your communications .
Become fan of our FACEBOOK page and voice your concerns to our leaders
Presse release of our last campain